Two steps forward.  I altered my design a bit and while I still need to make a few more tweaks to the design I think we are looking good

Two steps forward. I altered my design a bit and while I still need to make a few more tweaks to the design I think we are looking good

I am currently in sunny Hotlanta, GA for the next few days for a conference but I wanted to share some progress on the futon cover.

There has been moderate success on the futon cover front.  After taking failed version 1.0 I took it apart and re-evaluated what I had done.  I re-designed to cover and, while I still need to tweak the design a little bit and finish hemming the cover and finishing the seams I think it’s looking pretty good.  Once I finish the final little bits I can start on the pillows and valance.

It certainly looks much nicer than my old futon cover, although nothing will ever be able to match the whimsy of the sock monkey sheet.

So far I have only sketched my design.  Would you all be interested in a copy of the design plan or a short tutorial?

Don't f*$@k up your own project by blinding rushing ahead just because you are super excited (OMG!!!Ican'twait!!!).

The linen from futon cover v1.0 that had to be taken apart.  Don’t f*$@k up your own project by blinding rushing ahead just because you are super excited (OMG!!!Ican’twait!!!).

When you have a project, any project, the most important thing you can do is plan and take you time.

I got really excited when work closed early due to snow yesterday and I jumped right into my futon cover project…ignoring my own best advice.

Don’t do that.

Because I didn’t listen to myself my design had major flaws and I ended up having to rip the whole thing apart.  I was so mad I just ripped it apart and left it on my table.  Thankfully we don’t have a fireplace or I might have done something drastic.

Futon Cover v2.0.  I now think I know what went wrong (the panel on the side should be wider because of the way it pulls when the futon if in sofa form) but I think a small alteration in my design will fix the issue while still letting me use the fabric I already cut.

Futon Cover v2.0. I now think I know what went wrong (the panel on the side should be wider because of the way it pulls when the futon if in sofa form) but I think a small alteration in my design will fix the issue while still letting me use the fabric I already cut.

Thankfully, after I sat down, had a drink…and some dinner I was able to take a more objective look at what had been wrong with my initial design.  I now think I know what went wrong and I think I can fix it with the fabric I already cut.  Which is really lucky because I don’t have a lot of extra fabric if I also want to make curtains and throw pillows.

My patterned fabric arrived this weekend! Hopefully the linen will be here this week and then we can get started!

20140210-101438.jpg

Over Christmas my husband and I made over my sewing room.  We rearranged the room for better work flow, repainted, and added new shelves

Over Christmas my husband and I made over my sewing room. We rearranged the room for better work flow, repainted, and added new shelves

My Christmas present and a better picture of the new wall color.

My Christmas present and a better picture of the new wall color.

While we wait for the fabric swatches for the doublet to arrive I have started up another project: a futon cover and curtains to finish up the sewing room makeover that my husband and I started over Christmas.  We rearranged the room for better work flow, repainted, and added new shelves.  I also received a TV for Christmas for my sewing room from my awesome husband.

There are still a few things that need to be finished though.  I need to make a new futon cover that will fit better with room than my sock monkey fitted sheet (I know, so awesome!) and I’d like to make a matching valence to replace the linen curtains that I was just never really happy with.  I also have one move picture to hang and two little paint touch-ups to make from the other pictures that were hung.

The fabric I ordered from my futon cover and valence: Designtex's Brooch in Mink

The fabric I ordered from my futon cover and valence: Designtex’s Brooch in Mink

A few weeks ago I requested some swatches from Modern Fabrics in Charlotte, NC.  They have some lovely home decor fabrics and many of them have a great retro feel.  I selected  Designtex’s Brooch in Mink from the swatches I ordered and last week I ordered 5 yards for the futon cover and valence project.  I also ordered another 5 yards of chocolate brown linen for the back of the futon cover and to line the valence since the futon fabric was kind of at the top end of my budget.  By using a cheaper fabric for the parts of the cover no one will see the project becomes a little more economical.

The fabric should be here this week.  I can’t wait to get started.